Friday, April 28, 2017

Live with Intentionality

Isn't this beautiful? This picture says a lot to me. It is one of hope, a reminder of light, of friendship and Glory.

Spring is such a promising time. It's a time when people get inspired, the house gets clean, people begin planning for the nice days ahead, and making changes within their jobs. As a teacher, Spring was always a time of looking for ways to make things better next year. What can I do differently? How can I improve? Spring for me has always been a time of reflection and promise.

This year is no different. I'm no longer an active classroom teacher, but the desire to reflect, become better, and make positive changes in my life and home business are there just the same. It's something about the human soul that feeds off of Light. I don't think its a coincidence that sunlight and colorful flowers bring about happiness in people, and God is Light.

"No longer will you have the sun for light by day, Nor for brightness will the moon give you light; But you will have the LORD for an everlasting light and your God for your glory."
Isaiah 60:19

So with this sun, the flowers, and the warmer days comes a sort of motivation to improve. But here's the thing: Motivation will get you going, but intentionality keeps you going.

Over the weekend I was able to hear from a best selling author and personal development coach, John Maxwell. He spoke to us about how important personal growth is if we want to achieve our dreams and ambitions. He said that the most important thing to practice while going after those ambitions is intentionality.


For me it has always been easy to begin things. I get good ideas or I find solutions to problems. As a teacher I had fun being creative and thinking up new projects and ways to learn/teach things. But I've often been too quick to lose momentum.

This Law of Intentionality (as John Maxwell calls it in his book, 15 Laws of Personal Growth) made sense to me as what I have been lacking. For me, if I want to succeed in my business, my marriage, as a parent, etc, I need to be intentional with how I get there. But having good intentions also takes good actions. It's exciting for me to realize this is what it takes to improve.

You know how you can know something, but it doesn't become personal until you've heard it when you're ready to hear it? Well, I think that was me this weekend hearing about intentionality.

So, with the sun and the spring, I get to practice being intentional with many things in my life.
A few things I am committing to be intentional about are:

Time with my wonderful husband.

Intentional increments of time during the day with my kids. (Without having my phone nearby)

Sharing my passion with people.

Starting the day with the Word and prayer.

I'd love to share my passion with you. I'd love to get to know you. I respond to any and all messages on my blog, as well as my personal Facebook or email.

Have a marvelous spring day!

-Emily

*I took the flower picture while on a business trip in Salt Lake City.



No comments:

Post a Comment