Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Take Notice

I really enjoy when God speaks a word to me and I hear it. I'm beginning to understand that when those revelations or random thoughts of clarity happen, it's often a word from the Lord.

The words I hear today on my drive to pick up Arthur from school were, Take Notice.

Take notice. Of what?

The sky was beautiful. The clouds were the kind of clouds that are all level and flat on the bottom and puffy on top. In between clouds was that gorgeous blue that just speaks of spring. And then you add the country scene and I could go on. But as I was thinking these things about the sky those words came to the surface. Take Notice

(This was actually a picture of clouds from yesterday. I believe this idea of noticing began with these clouds, which this picture does not do justice.)

God was telling me to take notice of His beautiful masterpiece. 

But then I thought of people, and the book Harriet the Spy came to mind. This was my favorite novel in fifth grade, but in case you don't know it, here's the gist: Harriet is a writer and an observer. She takes it upon herself to observe everything and everyone-- including all of her friends. She writes down everything she observes her friends doing, things about their appearance, etc. 

I believe the take away from that memory is how Harriet takes notice of everything she sees. Obviously, I do not think spying, being critical and judgmental with our observations like Harriet was  the word to remember. However, I do think that we as people need to come out of our own self focus and take notice of the people around us. I've been hearing lately from different sources how important emotional intelligence is. The ability to see other people and read their emotions and body language, and to use our knowledge of emotions to guide our actions. We will make better connections with people if we respond to them in a way that shows we are taking notice of how they are feeling. I know that I am constantly re-learning this with my children. I need to take notice of how they react to things and how I respond to their emotions as well. Taking notice of their emotions allows me to reconsider if my actions are necessary or selfish.

Thoughts are funny, bumpy, skipping things. My drive to school bounced from the words take notice to Harriet the Spy, to coming outside of ourselves to notice people, and having emotional intelligence to guide our connections. 

This word was for me today because I am quick to be aware of myself, and slow to notice those around me. I'm usually just wrapped up in my task, narrow focused and wanting to finish with my little bunch of kids before something goes awry. 

But God didn't call me to be self focused. 

I did a search for the word notice in the bible, and here are a couple examples of what I found:

"God saw the sons of Israel, and God took notice of them." Exodus 2:25

"Then she fell on her face, bowing to the ground and said to him, 'why have I found favor in your sight that you should take notice of me, since I am a foreigner?'" Ruth 2:10

Many of the verses I found spoke of God taking notice of us. God notices me. God notices you. That means he's paying attention. He's listening, seeing, and responding. 

But I believe he's not just taking notice of us, but calling us to grow our awareness and notice his creation. His beautiful painted natural world and His people created in His own image. If I am worthy of His notice, the people I encounter, and the people of this world are worthy also.

So my new challenge for myself is to notice my surroundings, the people I encounter, and make deeper connections.

There's a little humor in this being my lesson for the day because my wonderful husband has a blog called The Interest of Others. I mean, just the name of his blog shows that he is already on this path. Sometimes things are reoccurring lessons and apparently I need further instruction! My husband is an inspiration. You can follow his blog at www.theinterestofothers.blogspot.com and on Twitter @Mister_Coe for inspiration and updates.

Thanks for reading! Visualize beautiful 💜💜💜

4 comments:

  1. This is such a great truth. It is not a concept, it is reality. God has created such a beautiful world. Even in times of trial we must listen to that still small voice. It will remind us to always take notice, not just of worldly things, but of messages to guide our inner souls to lead us to a better place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelley! You are right. It's not an easy task, but something I am learning :).

      Delete
  2. You are farther down the rode than many as you have the divine understanding that His Spirit calls us , directs us and guides us daily. It is but our choice to listen and head the still small voice. While our world gives us clutter, fog, distracting noises and voices in our heads, if we but are patient and 'ask' He will hear us and He will provide, like any great father would! We are His children and you my friend, are a true and a wonderful and cherished daughter of a very loving Father in Heaven.
    Not all are blessed with the keen ability to hear His voice, cherish this gift, cultivate it, speak with Him often and that gift can only magnify.
    Cherish this day's encounter and there will be many more, this I promise.
    I am honored to have had the opportunity have you, your husband and your mother cross my path, you are all good people and my life has been blessed with this connection.
    May all your days be blessed.
    Larry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Larry! Good word. We are very blessed to know you as well!

      Delete